Layout Settings

The layout settings affect the layout of your forum, and should be administered during your installation and setup. If you’re looking for widget settings, please see: https://discourse.pluginmanager.org/t/widget-settings.

All the settings mentioned below are site settings. You can find them at yoursite.com/admin/site_settings/category/plugins?filter=layouts

Layouts enabled

This setting toggles the plugin off and on. If you turn it off, none of the plugin functionality will work.

Sidebar width

The sidebar width settings, layouts sidebar left width and layouts sidebar right width, govern the non-responsive width of the sidebars. Note that once the responsive threshold is reached, the sidebar width is entirely determined by the plugin stylesheet and these settings no longer apply.

Position

The sidebar positioning settings, layouts sidebar left position and layouts sidebar right position determine whether the sidebars have fixed, sticky or absolute positioning.

Fixed

The sidebars will stay in the same position on the screen, regardless of what the other content on the screen does. The maximum sidebar height is the height of the screen. If the combined content of the sidebar is greater than the height of the screen the content itself will be scrollable, however the sidebar will still remain fixed.

The sidebars will scroll with the screen until they reach the bottom of the site header, at which point they will become fixed (i.e. same as above). This positioning is useful when you have content above the topic list area, such as a category banner.

Absolute

The sidebars will be positioned relative to the rest of the content on the screen. If that content is scrolled, the sidebar will scroll too.

Can hide

The layouts sidebar left can hide and layouts sidebar right can hide settings allow to specify contexts in which the user can hide the sidebars by clicking on a sidebar toggle:

If a right sidebar is used in the “topic” context it will hide the large topic timeline, and the minimised version will display.

If the sidebar is hidden, the large topic timeline will reappear.

The “contexts” here are the same as the contexts in which you can display widgets. See further:

https://discourse.pluginmanager.org/t/widget-settings

Responsive threshold

The layouts sidebar responsive threshold determines the window width at which the sidebar layout will switch from desktop view to responsive view and vice versa, when the forum is being displayed on a desktop.

If the forum is being loaded on a mobile device the layout will always be in responsive view.

Mobile

The layouts mobile enabled setting determines whether layouts are applied to mobile. This has to be enabled for layouts to work on mobile.

The layouts mobile menu lets you display sidebar toggles or links in a menu along the bottom of the screen on mobile devices.The settings for this menu will look like this:

left~~https://discourse.pluginmanager.org/uploads/db3994/original/2X/d/d76070707333dee1c248c0f47e3fb0e2329404ec.png
link~~https://discourse.pluginmanager.org/uploads/db3994/original/2X/f/f3481b2b3aa517ae3f3becf2aecbe43a701c9166.png~~/c/clients
link~~https://discourse.pluginmanager.org/uploads/db3994/original/2X/1/1ef9fa77cbe6cb478a1d87376377f979e92b1a5c.png~~/c/open-source
link~~https://discourse.pluginmanager.org/uploads/db3994/original/2X/c/c76201290716a750a5e4eab44aa6229ccb284b81.png~~/c/knowledge

This translates to the menu like so:

Let’s break that down. The each item in the setting list relates to a menu item. Each menu item setting has three parts, separated by two tildes( a ~ symbol): type~~icon-url~~link-url

type can be either a sidebar side, left or right, or link if the item is a link. If you include a sidebar toggle the toggle will only appear if that sidebar has widgets in it. If you include a link the link will only appear if you provide a valid url as the third setting. The url can be internal or external. If it’s external it must be an absolute url. The icon url must be for image file. This can be hosted on your forum or elsewhere.

Hey @angus, is there a way I can manually toggle the mobile menu from my code?

Hey :slight_smile:

Yes, there is. You can do the following in a theme component

1. Iterate over the layouts contexts.

2. Reopen the controller for each context using the plugin api

3. Override the showResponsiveMenu computed property which determines whether the menu is shown

Thanks a lot, I will try this and let you know how it goes :smile:

Any plans to add ‘full’ to ‘layouts sidebar right position’?

I’m using Layouts plugin + Category widget, works everywhere except on the Latest and Category link. Is it my config or is this intended? It just doesn’t show on Latest and Categories (both mobile or desktop)

A second thing I noticed is that the mobile bar is fixed (not hiding) on Chrome and Firefox but it does on DuckDuckGo browser (which is a fork of Chrome). That’s weird, maybe some other plugin I have is interfering?

A third thing is the Minimize button, it’s not minimizing like here on pavilion, even if I use the categories with a logo image or not.

One more thing if I’m still at, how do we get the left side bar go to absolute left like on thepavilion? On my instance is right next the topic text but on thepavilion it looks so much better being on the left limit.

Hey @Martin,

It may be a configuration issue. How is your Category Widget setup? If you want it to show on all filters, you should leave the “Filter” attribute empty. (See here under Filter). Otherwise, you should indicate all the filters you would like the widget to appear on.

Yes, this is an odd issue that seems to only be present with DuckDuckGo. I’ll look into resolving this.

The minimize button is only supported on the ‘Full’ sidebar position. Please ensure the Layouts setting layouts_sidebar_left_position is set to full if you would like to take advantage of this feature.

To make the sidebar go to the absolute left, you would need to set the left sidebar to the full position. See note above :point_up:

Actually is very useful in my case to have the bar toggle on scroll, if you could post the code needed to make this behavior consistent over all browsers it would be fantastic.

My widget settings are:

Position: left
Context: I’ve added all the available (Topic, Topic List, Profile, Users, Tags, Group, Badge, Review, Admin, Search). It still doesn’t show on Latest and Categories even though I have all the available Context options selected. In the Context dropdown however I don’t have available Latest and Categories (only in the Filter dropdown I can see them but in Context not…)

Filter: empty

Solved, had to empty categories.