Field Interpolation

A number of wizard setting text inputs support wizard field and user field interpolation. This means that you can insert wizard or user data into blocks of text that the user sees in the wizard.

“Interpolation” noun. The insertion of something of a different nature into something else.

Usage

The basic usage of field interpolation is w{field_id} for wizard fields and u{field_name} for user fields.

Example

For example, if you have a field with the id “step_1_field_1” where a user enters their name, you can use that field in a post template using w{step_1_field_1}.

Settings

Result

Format

You must use the exact field ids, not the field labels, and exact user properties. You can see the field ids in (brackets) next to the field label.

If the value stored in the wizard field is an object, you can use dot notation to access properties of that object.

Example

For example, the value of an Upload field is an object that looks like this:

{“id”=>“17099”, “url”=>"//npn.sfo2.digitaloceanspaces.com/original/3X/a/1/a1c2bdd54a169a35e95a4cc7fc95471e3be29ad5.jpeg", “original_filename”=>“DSC_2513 - NPN 1500px 2020.03.07.jpg”, “filesize”=>“422440”, “width”=>“1500”, “height”=>“956”, “thumbnail_width”=>“690”, “thumbnail_height”=>“439”, “extension”=>“jpeg”, “short_url”=>“upload://n506tVd67Ud4VTMlxqt8nIZPTPD.jpeg”, “short_path”=>"/uploads/short-url/n506tVd67Ud4VTMlxqt8nIZPTPD.jpeg", “retain_hours”=>"", “human_filesize”=>“413 KB”}

To interpolate the url of the upload into a field, use the notation w{field_id.url}. This allows you to interpolate an image uploaded via an Upload field into a post.

Settings

Result

Where it’s supported

Field interpolation is supported in certain text inputs.

Step descriptions

Step descriptions currently only support user fields.

Post builder (actions)

You can interpolate any fields of the wizard user, and any wizard fields in a post builder.

Text inputs

You can interpolate any fields of the wizard user in any text input. You can also interpolate any wizard field in a text input in an action.

1 Like

Great documentation, kudos! :clap:

when publishing as a topic, is there a way to interpolate a wizard dropdown field’s key and value fields? Have tried w{field.key} and w{field.value} and similar to no avail.

@per Hope you don’t mind that I moved your reply to this topic, as I suspect this is what you’re after?

Sounds absolutely reasonable @angus :slight_smile:

However, I fail to understand if it is possible to interpolate both key and value fields from dropdown fields when an action creates a topic? Is there a way to check which values are possible to interpolate per field type? Ie, put another way, is there a way to check what each object looks like as per the example above?

Hey @angus, is it possible to take a User Customised Field and interpolate it?

I ask because I need to ask people’s background for approvals as a UCF (pre signup wizard), and then would like to give them the opportunity to improve upon what they wrote before inserting it into bio_raw.

We currently cannot use Update Profile in Actions to map a UF (or UCF) to another User Field. I also tried to just push it from my UCF to bio_raw using the Custom feature of Update Profile in Actions, but couldn’t make it work.

Any thoughts?

Hey,

Sorry, just so I’m clear, the flow here is:

1. Take input in custom field in sign up form
  2. Edit input in text field in custom wizard
  3. Map edited input to bio_raw

Is there anything else being inserted in bio_raw, or just the contents of this field? If there’s nothing else, you should use the action mapping, i.e. that’s where we’ll focus.

That is exactly what I mean, with the possible exception of using a composer for the field.

As a general principle it would be absolutely lovely to be able to use/interpolate UCFs in the same way as the standard user fields in the step and field texts. This would do the job just fine as the user could then just copy and paste as they wished. And it would be useful for a bunch of things.

Hey Angus

How would display more that one uploaded image into a post? In my specific case the number of images uploaded in the wizard is not defined.

Inserting multiple images in the post builder would look something like this.

My first image
![image_1](w{step_1_field_1.url})

My second image
![image_2](w{step_1_field_2.url})

However, unless I’m reading you wrong, you want the fields inserted to be dynamic, i.e. you don’t know which fields should be inserted beforehand. Is that because you’re not sure which fields will have uploads? i.e. some might be empty?

If that’s the case, you have two options currently:

1. Make all fields being interpolated a required field

2. Interpolate empty fields

There’s no optional interpolation at this time. One improvement might be something like “don’t interpolate if the field has no input”. That’s something I would consider as a new feature.

not quiet

different submissions will upload different numbers of images. some only one, others 3, others maybe 7.
Hence I don’t know how to add put that into composer as output.

When the field type is Category, w{step_2_field_1} outputs the category number quoted inside brackets, i.e. [“6”] instead of the category name. How do I output the name?

Same thing when the field type is a tag.

Field types checkbox and textarea output only true if user supplied text in textarea or **** if left empty. I want the user-supplied text to be outputted.

EDIT: I’m using field type Dropdown with mapped content to achieve my goal and resolve my previous issues.

You can do that by using a Category type field, and then choosing ‘slug’ in Property (under Advanced):

Although it would be very nice to have Category name as one of the options!!

Hey guys

for dropdown flields by default the Key is displayed and not the value when I am using the w{step_2_field_3} placeholder for the post created. How can I display the value instead?

I tried w{step_2_field_3.value} but it results in empty output.

Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 14.41.01

The value is not currently available for interpolation. There might be a way to do it with liquid, which the post builder supports. Sorry I don’t have the time to figure it out right now, or add support.

https://shopify.github.io/liquid/

Does Custom Wizard store field data on the topics directly? I’d like to be able to add some basic fields to new topics that could be searchable from somewhere else in the forum. Is this possible?

p.s. I’d love to see an overview of how this plugin works behind the scenes!

Hey, yes you can save topic custom fields when using the create topic action.

https://discourse.pluginmanager.org/t/action-settings

A course on plugin development, which will include a unit on this plugin will be coming in late 2022.

Could be possible that Wizard marks a checklist if user do something like post in a specific category or thread? Maybe using webhooks?

Thanks for your plugin, I’ll move to paid if I can finish our workflow.

Hey there, sorry for the slow reply.

Just so I understand, where would this checklist be that you want to be marked? Also, is the user creating the post using the wizard?

I’ve been working extensively developing custom wizards using liquid for the post builder and wanted to share what I have learned since the shopify documentation will only get you so far. I have to give credit to ChatGPT which helped clean up the mess I had created, but through the process I learned a lot. I know this will be super basic for most of you, but it may help some n00b like me in the future!

First up, syntax. I have found that the syntax recommended here can cause issues when your wizard post gets complicated. Rathen than using w{step_1_field_1}, I have had more success using {{step_1_field_1}}, which from what I understand is more standard liquid syntax.

You can comment your code using the following:

{% comment %} Commented text {% endcomment %}

Display an image from the upload field

Simple example of using .file_name and .url from the upload field

![{{step_1_field_1.file_name}}]({{step_1_field_1.url}})

Display if field is not blank

Here I have a text field where I’ve added a title and this will only display if the field is filled out.

{% if step_2_field_9 != blank %}
### Description
{{step_2_field_9}}
{% endif %}

Display text based upon a dropdown selection

In this example you will need a dropdown field and in this case the field is mapped to “example”

{% if step_1_field_1 == "example" %}
Example Text
{% endif %}

Use with checkboxes

{% if step_1_field_10 == "true" %}
Example Text
{% endif %}

Display uploaded files

Here I had an upload field that allows pdf’s as a filetype and I wanted to display the file in the post.

## Files
{% if step_4_field_1 != blank %}
[{{step_4_field_1.file_name}}|attachment]({{step_4_field_1.short_url}}) ({{step_4_field_1.human_filesize}})
{% endif %}

or / and statements

{% if step_1_field_10 == "true" or step_1_field_11 == "true" or step_1_field_12 == "true" or step_1_field_13 == "true" %}
4 Likes

It would be great to roll your discoveries into the OP. I’ve made that a wiki so you can.

@angus - is that okay with you?

1 Like