Wizard Settings

Wizard settings are those that affect the behaviour of the whole wizard. You’ll find them in the first settings block in your “Wizard” admin panel.

Required

When disabled, users see an “Exit” link in the footer of the first step of the wizard. If they click the link they’ll be taken to the forum homepage.

Signup

When enabled, users are automatically redirected to the wizard after they create an account (after signing up or accepting an invite).

Users will not be redirected after signup if they are:

• not permitted to access the wizard (see “Permitted” below); or
  • if custom wizards are disabled; or
  • if the wizard no longer exists; or
  • if “Signup” is disabled

Multiple

When enabled, users can complete the wizard multiple times. If disabled, users will see this message if they try to complete the wizard again.

If they click the “Return to {site name}” button, they are redirected to the forum homepage.

Prompt

When enabled, users will see a global banner prompting them to complete the wizard. When a user completes the wizard, the banner will no longer show for that user.

To edit the text of this banner, customise the wizard.complete_custom text.

Time

When enabled, users will be automatically redirected to the wizard on the specified date, at the specified time. If the user is not on the forum at the time, they will be redirected the next time they visit the forum.

Users will not be redirected at the specified time, or the next time they visit the forum after the specified time, if they are:

• not permitted to access the wizard (see “Permitted” below); or
  • if custom wizards are disabled; or
  • if the wizard no longer exists; or
  • if “Time” is disabled

Permitted

Use Permitted to restrict which users can access the wizard (and automatically redirected to the wizard via the Signup or Time settings).

Permitted is a conditional field with two types:

• Assignment (“Set”): A defined list of user groups who have access
  • Validation (“Ensure”): A list of user field conditions

Permitted is cumulative. All separate conditions must pass for the user to have access.

Guest Submissions

:point_right: You need to be on Custom wizard business subscription to be able to use this feature.

To allow guest (i.e. folk who are not logged in) submissions, set the Permitted setting to Users and Guests.

If guest submissions are enabled, only the actions Send Message and Route To are available.

Advanced

As with all advanced settings, be careful when using these settings. Using them may effect the normal functioning of the wizard.

• Save. When disabled, the custom wizard will not save submissions
  • Restart. When enabled, partial progress through a wizard will cleared each time the user visits it.
  • Resume. If a user has an incomplete subsmission when they visit the wizard they will be asked if they want to resume that submission or start again, and delete their incomplete submission.

When customizing the the text in the Prompt is it possible to include the user’s name? Like “Hey Angus, it’s time to update your profile!” I tried a few things that didn’t work and thought I’d ask.

Thanks!

I have signup checked but I don’t think it’s being triggered.

My user account creation is first done in WordPress, and then WordPress users come to discourse using that login. (I’m doing this through the WordPress Discourse plugin, etc)

Would that prevent this signup action from running?

Unfortunately not. Would need to add that as a new feature.

Yes. The Signup wizard setting does not currently work if the account is created in Wordpress and login to Discourse is via SSO. I’ll make a note about that above.

Could you make a feature request for this one actually? That would help me keep track of it.

There’s also this known issue with the custom wizard plugin and Wordpress SSO

A post was split to a new topic: No access messages aren’t working

I’m not sure that this is working right now. My users are describing a ‘blank page’ instead and it is taking a bit to test it properly (as @admins seem to be able to submit multiple times regardless!)

What does this do?

You’ve been busy adding stuff…

Yes we have! Many more changes coming actually. Thanks for the prompt on this, I’ve added a description

• Resume. If a user has an incomplete subsmission when they visit the wizard they will be asked if they want to resume that submission or start again, and delete their incomplete submission.

If I wanted to only use the custom wizard to add custom fields to new topics, how would I set that up? It seems like the custom wizard is only intended for user profiles at the point of sign up. What would I need to enable/disable/set in order to use the plugin like this?

What you want to do is definitely within the scope of the CWP.

If you configure the Wizard to generate a topic, and set that wizard to be topic creator for that category (in the category settings) you should be able to achieve that

Would you mind briefly describing how to do that? I’ve literally looked through all the documentation/topics and can’t find an intro or overview of how it all works or what it’s capable of.

Hello, I have doubts regarding this section, I want users with a certain type of e-mail to be able to access the wizard, however I have not been able to configure it correctly.
What I want is that, for example, only those who have a school email, of the type alumn_1@cool_school.com, have access to the wizard and that emails like gmail.com, hotmail.com, etc. simply do not access.
Could you support me by telling me how I can achieve this?
Thanks in advance.

Hey @Rhod, the way to achieve that is:

1. Create a group of users with that email domain. You can do this automatically in group settings.
  2. Set the “Permitted” field to the group

As not subscribed user, the wizard will not save the submissions, does it mean the admin have no idea what’s the user’s submission?

I’m not sure - while ‘greyed out’, the :ballot_box_with_check: Save wizard submissions is selected:

Have you given it a shot?

If you are definitely missing functionality and aren’t affilitated with a business, you can apply for a Community (free) subscription:

https://custom-wizard.pavilion.tech/pricing/

I have applied but didn’t get a response yet.

Sorry to hear that; it is early days for the CWP 2.0, please be patient as the workflows and bumps are sorted out.

Hopefully you’ll hear back shortly.

Custom Wizard plugin now lets you allow guests to create wizard submissions.

:point_right: You need to be on Custom wizard business subscription to be able to use this feature.

To allow guest submissions, set the Permitted setting under the Wizard section to Users and Guests.

If guest submissions are enabled, only the actions Send Message and Route To are available.

2 Likes

@angus can you please review and correct if necessary? It seems like Save is not in “Advanced” and “Resume” does not exist (any more)?

I think it might be a good idea to share this around a bit. Indeed it doesn’t require technical expertise, just some familiarity with the plugin. We can’t keep me as the sole expert on things indefinitely.

@NathanK Would you mind giving this one topic a shot? Let’s see if it’s doable. If you’re finding it hard, report back and we’ll re-assess.